Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Phenomena in the days of Philip » Blog Archive » Nonetheless, there’s something I don’t like about the architecture of Evolution Data Server.

Phenomena in the days of Philip » Blog Archive » Nonetheless, there’s something I don’t like about the architecture of Evolution Data Server.: "What I don’t like about it, is that it more or less requires each client of the service to keep a local copy of the calendar or contact data in its own memory. At least all the data that matched the search query. This data is not really small per item. In fact, it’s quite large. It never really surprised me a lot that both the calendar component of Evolution’s shell AND the Evolution Data Server consume quite a lot of memory."

Philip's post touches on some similar thoughts I have about email clients. My beef with Evolution is it can't handle a machine crashing very well. It goes through this validation phase that takes forever. I'd take advantage of a system that handles crashes. Some thing that SQLite provides out of the box. Put the indexes inside the database. Let the database handle crashes.

Now, I just need to find a MIME widget and I can work on Yet Another Email Client.

No comments: